Attention, dependency fighters

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 9 13:34:52 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 07:12:50AM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > firewalld isn't in the minimal comps groups. However, it's pulled in
> > by anaconda, see pyanaconda/install.py:
> >     # anaconda requires storage packages in order to make sure the target
> >     # system is bootable and configurable, and some other packages in order
> >     # to finish setting up the system.
> >     packages = storage.packages + ["authconfig", "firewalld"]
> Why do anaconda dependencies end up in the minimal install ? That
> shouldn't really be necessary, right ? It has always bugged me the we
> end up with anaconda on the installed system when installing from a live
> cd.

The storage packages are going to be needed for the system to boot.

Anaconda could probably add some smarts to remove authconfig if it wasn't
pulled in by anything in the selected comps, but I'm not sure it'd be worth
the special logic -- we might as well just put it in @core (even though it's
not super-tiny).

Firwealld I don't know about, though. If anaconda sets up the firewall using
firewalld but then doesn't install it, will the old iptables scripts load
the configuration? It'd be nice if it could, because firewalld is *another*
big change that it'd be nice to have a reasonable back-out plan for.