Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 14:56:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>Le Ven 9 novembre 2012 14:48, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
>
>> I still think there would be room for shrinking both code base and the
>> system dependencies if the installer focused on its core responsibility
>> - getting the bits on disk. That is an important and very high-risk
>> operation - why do we need to complicate the program doing it by also
>> making it responsible for creating users, configuring firewalls,
>> timezones, etc etc ? Those are all things that can (and imo should) be
>> done in the much safer and easier-to-debug post-install environment.
>
>Only if you forget about all the automated mass installation processes
>where you do absolutely want to feed a kickstart to the installer and have
>it configure everything in one go.
The simple fact that you are feeding kickstart file to a single entity
does not mean this entity cannot outsource actual tasks to others and
run them later, be it post-install phase in the actual installer's
session or after (a simulated) reboot.

Input interface change is not needed for backend changes. If all you are
interested is 'one go' installer from perspective of the feeding
kickstart files, it would still be the same.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy