Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 16:57:05 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 07:15 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 09:30:14AM -0500, David Cantrell wrote:
>>> Wasn’t one of the advantages of VMs the fact that you can slice more
>>> small machines on one computer?
>> Yes, that is an advantage, but that shouldn't be slicing up one computer in
>> to multiple very underpowered smaller computers.
>
> Why not? That's incredibly useful.
>
>> Just to cite similar complaints I see from time to time...  It irritates me
>> that people think it's a problem that in 2012 they can't install in a VM
>> that is allocated with 256M of RAM.  Allocate a reasonable amount, start
>> over.  Your host system for multiple VMs in 2012 should not have 1G of
>> memory.
>
> What about my host system for 500 VMs?

Use elastic allocation.  It takes a lot of ram to say "please depsolve
these 40 packages" which turns into "install these 250 (minimal)
packages".  So in order to handle that kind of task (once), allocate a
large amount of ram.  Once that task is complete, the actual work the
image will be doing may require a lot less ram, so you can scale down
what you allocate to that guest.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!