Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 17:01:00 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 05:48 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> I still think there would be room for shrinking both code base and the
> system dependencies if the installer focused on its core responsibility
> - getting the bits on disk. That is an important and very high-risk
> operation - why do we need to complicate the program doing it by also
> making it responsible for creating users, configuring firewalls,
> timezones, etc etc ? Those are all things that can (and imo should) be
> done in the much safer and easier-to-debug post-install environment.

Because when you are only installing the minimal package set (which
means no x) then the post-install configuration tools don't really exist
to do those necessary steps, nor do people want to have an automated
install, which then halts at first boot to prompt a user to configure a
bunch of stuff necessary to make the machine work right.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!