Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 16:33:05 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-09, 14:30 GMT, David Cantrell wrote:
> Just to cite similar complaints I see from time to time...  It
> irritates me that people think it's a problem that in 2012 they can't
> install in a VM that is allocated with 256M of RAM.  Allocate
> a reasonable amount, start over.  Your host system for multiple VMs in
> 2012 should not have 1G of memory.

Does it really irritate you? Those are strong words ... anyway.

I will risk your irritation, anger, maybe even rage (after all, their
impact is limited over IRC) and let me ask:

a) Why installer requires 2-4 times more memory than any other program
running on my computer (and the software you use on it could be a good
example of SOHO server)?
b) What awesome and breathtaking functionality I've got in anaconda
since EL-5 that I have to pay for it with this increase of hardware
requirements? (and let me remind you again about those 500 VMs)

I don't think these question are in any way inappropriate or too
offensive, are they?

Best,

Matěj