Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 17:06:08 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 08:33 AM, Matej Cepl wrote:
> a) Why installer requires 2-4 times more memory than any other program
> running on my computer (and the software you use on it could be a good
> example of SOHO server)?

Because anaconda links into a large amount of runtime stuff, that
normally runs isloated and so it /looks/ like our memory usage is
balooned, when in reality the entire system has balooned, we're just
getting the blame.

> b) What awesome and breathtaking functionality I've got in anaconda
> since EL-5 that I have to pay for it with this increase of hardware
> requirements? (and let me remind you again about those 500 VMs)
>
> I don't think these question are in any way inappropriate or too
> offensive, are they?

Hey it's free software.  Feel free to take EL5's anaconda code base and
make it work for F19.  If it's good enough, maybe you can convince FESCo
to replace anaconda with your project as the official installer for Fedora.

I wish you luck!

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!