Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 17:11:34 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 05:01 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 11/09/2012 05:48 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> I still think there would be room for shrinking both code base and the
>> system dependencies if the installer focused on its core responsibility
>> - getting the bits on disk. That is an important and very high-risk
>> operation - why do we need to complicate the program doing it by also
>> making it responsible for creating users, configuring firewalls,
>> timezones, etc etc ? Those are all things that can (and imo should) be
>> done in the much safer and easier-to-debug post-install environment.
>
> Because when you are only installing the minimal package set (which
> means no x) then the post-install configuration tools don't really
> exist to do those necessary steps, nor do people want to have an
> automated install, which then halts at first boot to prompt a user to
> configure a bunch of stuff necessary to make the machine work right.

Well the argue can be made that If you are doing a minimal install it
kinda indicates you actually know what you are doing ( which means you
will probably change whatever was set afterwards ) so the system should
just default to use sane working defaults which should come with the
relevant package when it's installed even set some default password.

But if we continue to look at minimal install which post-install
configuration files is Anaconda explicitly touching?

JBG