Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 17:17:50 UTC 2012

On 11/08/2012 12:47 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 11/08/2012 08:40 PM, David Lehman wrote:
>> No. It is an inevitable consequence of the feature set demanded of the
>> Fedora OS installer.
>>
>> If thing A must be able to set up and configure thing B and thing B
>> changes in ways directly related to said configuration, how can you
>> reasonably expect thing A to continue to be able to configure thing B
>> without corresponding changes? Magic?
>
> I'm all for magic but I would expect specific configuration package(s)
> and or a configuration template tailored for the component being install
> which the installer might use or the package himself would simply do it
> post install.
>
> Are there any specific use case where that would not suffice?
>
> JBG

You're focused on packages.  How about filesystems?  That stuff changes
way more often than one would like.  LVM?  How often do we have to
update the command line arguments we pass to do things?  --force --force
--noIreallymeanit  BTRFS?  That's all still in development so the tools
are changing rapidly.

What about actually getting packages into the filesystem.  yum api
changes with time, and our use of yum means we have to change our code
to work with the API as well.  Boot loaders?  yeah, go ahead and install
the grub package, see what it does in the %post scripts.  Oh, you
actually want to /configure/ the machine to boot?  Well that takes work,
work that has to change because /grub/ changes.

I can keep going, but is it really necessary?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!