Attention, dependency fighters

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 17:22:21 UTC 2012

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" (johannbg at gmail.com) said:
> >The storage packages are going to be needed for the system to boot.
> >
> >Anaconda could probably add some smarts to remove authconfig if it wasn't
> >pulled in by anything in the selected comps, but I'm not sure it'd be worth
> >the special logic -- we might as well just put it in @core (even though it's
> >not super-tiny).
> >
> >Firwealld I don't know about, though. If anaconda sets up the firewall using
> >firewalld but then doesn't install it, will the old iptables scripts load
> >the configuration? It'd be nice if it could, because firewalld is *another*
> >big change that it'd be nice to have a reasonable back-out plan for.

The point here is that both authconfig and firewalld are used by anaconda to
configure the installed system, via either the old code (pre-F18) or the
kickstart code (older releases, and F18+). anaconda would need to grow more
complicated checks to ensure that certain things weren't set in the install
before laying them down.

> You might want to remove plymouth from the minimal install since it
> does not make sense having it there anyway

You filed a bug about that, actually... I'll respond here and paste there.

plymouth was added to the minimal install as a consistent method for
handling encrypted passphrases and boot-time logs at the time. Since this
has moved out into other components since then, it can be reconsidered.

There's something to be said for having a consistent boot-time interface
though, rather than one that changes whether or not plymouth is installed.

Bill