Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 17:46:49 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 12:55:30PM +0100, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 12:27 +0100, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> >
> > I've been told that the F18 Anaconda work was for some time done on a
> > single rawhide snapshot; after ~2 months the snapshot was updated -
> > and it took weeks to get Anaconda working again against the new one.
> >
> > That sounds rather bad.  Yes, anaconda is special, but it is not
> > _that_ special; if updating for core platform changes (without any
> > major known change happening in the mean time) requires weeks of work
> > on anaconda, there will be other software that will require weeks of
> > work to update.
> I'm afraid anaconda _is that_ special. AFAICT there is no other piece of
> code that directly interacts with dracut, systemd, Network Manager, gtk3
> (and GObject introspection) and many other components that change quite
> often. If there is such code, I'd be happy to look at how its developers
> handle such changes and take a lecture from them.

Other projects would handle something like this by having a subset of people
working on a branch that kept the existing UI but was updating to fix issues
with dependencies.  The NewUI feature work would be done by a different
subset of people on a separate branch and be merged in only when it was
ready.

David Cantrell has mentioned the reasons that he doesn't think that would
work for anaconda -- I'll list them here so no one reads my message without
that information as well:

* Doing it this way would slow down anaconda development
* Anaconda lacks the manpower to maintain two separate development heads

-Toshio