Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 19:20:51 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-09, 17:15 GMT, Peter Jones wrote:
> The installer's memory footprint is largely bound by the size of the
> package set. So, for example, a yum "upgrade" will take more ram -
> because there are effectively twice as many packages involved.

I see that. Couldn’t be there a way how to somehow overcome this
problem? Just a bit of brainstorming, don’t shoot me too much for being
silly.

a) it could be that anaconda could just provide some kind of profiles
   instead of exact selection of individual packages and the lists of
   required packages for such profiles could be then precompiled in
   advance and provided on the installation medium (and for kickstart
   you could precompile it on a separate machine)?
b) installation could be done just from a limited set of packages
   (something similar to what we used to have in Fedora Core, for
   example) and the final installation of packages would be done
   post-installation from the full set?

   We do that effectively with LiveCD installations anyway, don’t we?
   Well, at least mostly ... certainly people can download additional
   packages from Internet. Do users do that or do they typically install
   just what’s on CD/USB?

   Do people typically do detailed selection of packages (including
   obscure ones) in anaconda, or do they do (what I do, so I am biased)
   detailed final selection of packages on the already installed
   system?

> Actually, yeah, when you question our competence and the utility of
> what we're doing, that is a bit offensive.

Did I say a word about your competence? I really didn’t mean to do that.
For one, I am quite sure that you are way better programmers than I am,
so I have not much to say about anybody’s competence.

I just wondered (and I still wonder a little, see above) about the
necessity of using 2-4 times more RAM for what me (yes, that could be
part of the problem, I don’t need/use most of the advanced/enterprise
functionality in anaconda) seems like doing exactly the same as before.