Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 20:21:46 UTC 2012

> On 11/08/2012 11:31 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Yes. This is_absolutely_  a feature. A complete rewrite of a core and
> > non-optional component cannot be done ad hoc without planning. One
> > blindingly obvious reason for this in the current situation is that
> > we're still thrashing around trying to figure out how to build and ship
> > the initramfs that fedup needs. This is exactly the kind of thing that
> > needs to go through the feature process so that the relevant groups -
> > releng, infra - know about it. I don't believe they even knew about the
> > problem until about two weeks ago.
>
> I think the unfortunate thing here is that we're trying to use "Feature"
> to handle cross team coordination.

It may not be the best possible system, but I'm fairly confident it
would have worked better than what we actually did. Which, for fedup,
appears to have been 'nothing'. Until Tim started trying to actually
test fedup, I believe there had no attempt by any party to consider what
work other parties might have to do to make fedup fly.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey