yum upgrade from F17 to F18

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Nov 9 23:58:35 UTC 2012

Am 09.11.2012 23:57, schrieb drago01:
> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>

>> Am 09.11.2012 22:14, schrieb Kevin Fenzi:
>>> I think the thing people are missing here is that yum dist upgrades are
>>> perfectly fine for advanced users who know how to work around problems
>>> and use the tools, but aren't very good for well, everyone else.
>>
>> yes and no
>>
>> one real benefit of the yum upgrade is that you get
>> the latest updates which are often fixing many bugs
>> realized AFTER the release
>
> So do upgrades done with preupgrade and fedup

preupgrade is a blackbox and failed at the one try resulting
after retry it only have preupgrade in  the boot-menu - this day
i learned how to write grub-config by hand and it was the last
time touch preupgrade

additionally you have NO way to verify grub-config, initramdisk
ect. at all becasue you have no control like you have after
a yum-upgrade where you can do any cleanups before reboot

last but not least: on servers it is unusebale to run a  upgrade OFFLINE

after 160 upgrades on production servers and around 300 on test-systems
the last few years i really do not need anybody explain me again that
fedora is not for servers - i know what i am doing, i do not suggest
anybody should use it for this, i only suggest "please keep in mind
that there is a userbase which is happy and having the knowledge
to deal with yum dist-upgrades, please do not break it in future releases"