Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 10 00:24:49 UTC 2012

Am 10.11.2012 01:12, schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>> It's not one of our supported upgrade mechanisms, and there appears to
>> be no chance of that changing.
>
> That's the whole problem. Why is our most reliable upgrade mechanism not
> "supported"?
>
>> Please don't warm over that argument again.
>
> Why not?

i too do not understand why YUM is not the primary supported method

* it works much more relieable in most acses
* it gives better control

the arguments "after released updates you do not have a tested
migration path" is invalid - two months after the release you
also do NOT have a tested migration path because you got updates
for the previews version - this affects preupgrade also as update
with DVD

with the DVD method you even have NO WAY to fix issues because
the ISO images keep static and the installed OS gets updates

instead waste time for preupgrade or whatever replacemanet the
time could be spent for improvements in the yum upgrade-howto