yum upgrade from F17 to F18

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Nov 10 00:56:44 UTC 2012

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 20:16:50 +0100
> Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it> wrote:
>
>> Serious question: why usrmove is not doable?
>> If you have all the dirs in your path, and move executable files from
>> one place to another, why should this fail?
>
> All your dynamic libraries move?

If you do the move with a single C/C++ program rather than a shell script,
the libraries are already loaded in memory when they move, so it wouldn't be
an issue at all. Doing it with a shell script is trickier, but the UsrMove
folks actually had that working (with LD_PRELOAD tricks), before it was
decided that doing it in dracut was somehow "safer" (which sucks, because it
makes the process much less convenient than a simple script or binary to
run).

> You need selinux relabling?

SELinux is evil…

> I have been using yum upgrades on some of my machines here for many
> years, but there's often a weird broken dep or something I need to
> tweak for it to work right, for example:
>
> * Every release there are a few packages that were removed, so when you
>   upgrade to the new release you have to remove them yourself.

Same with the "supported" upgrade types.

        Kevin Kofler