Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 04:37:06 UTC 2012

On 11/10/2012 12:12 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>> >It's not one of our supported upgrade mechanisms, and there appears to
>> >be no chance of that changing.
> That's the whole problem. Why is our most reliable upgrade mechanism not
> "supported"?

For the first QA got completely bypass in that decision if we should
"officially support" upgrades in the first place but left with cleaning
up that mess ( its no way we could have covered every package installed
combination in the project ) when that pandora box was open, we actual
have testers that do yum upgrades and report any mistakes and it's
thanks to them that it works as smooth as it does and this release cycle
we even discussed adjusted the criteria to cover either or ( yum
upgrade/preupgrade or fedup ).

The fact remains however that we cant "properly" support it until we
default to btrfs and implement the ability for our userbase to fall back
to an snapshot that was taken before upgrade for our users to fallback
on encase shit hits the fan. ( despite whom ever made that decision to
official support it )

I however neither upgrade nor recommend upgrades because I have better
things to do with my time than spending hours cleaning up after the
upgrades and rather choose to have my /home on separated partitions and
do fresh install and reuse it once I have fixed Gnome not being able to
properly handle upgrades within Gnome itself for my user account ( which
takes half an hour hour tops to fix )

JBG