Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Matthias Runge mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Sat Nov 10 16:54:21 UTC 2012

On 11/09/2012 08:43 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> It hasn't really 'skyrocketed'. We cited 512MB for several releases,
> bumped it to 768MB for F15/F16 (IIRC), got it back down to 512MB for
> F17, and it's back up to 768MB or 1GB for F18 atm because everyone has
> more important stuff to do than optimize the RAM usage right now. But
> it's not been rising crazily or anything. I think the last time someone
> took a deep look at RAM use during install - during F17 cycle when we
> got it back down to 512MB - it turned out a lot of the usage happened
> during package install and wasn't really to do with anaconda at all.

I still don't get it.

If just depsolving requires so much memory, then it's maybe an option,
to add an 'express lane' to anaconda, to install all files listed in an
explicit file list and also to skip dependency checking.
That file list could be included for the three/four/ten typical usage
scenarios. I assume, this is just one scenario "minimum install".

Does rpm -i --nodeps really take so much memory? (Yes, there's a risk to
install a system with unsolved dependencies, and I currently ignore this
fact)
Or does anaconda require much memory when running headless (e.g. when
working on a kickstart file?) If not, we may want to put some energy
into kickstart-creator?
--
Matthias Runge <mrunge at matthias-runge.de>
                <mrunge at fedoraproject.org>