Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Nov 10 18:42:56 UTC 2012

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> Kevin manufactures today don't built hardware to last more then 3 years
> tops and actually the industry is moving towards to make them unfixable
> as well
> ( cheaper to jus throw it away and give you a new one )
>
> I think Germany is actually the only country that holds high standards
> in that regards
> ( as in requiring manufactures to build appliance that lasts )

My main computer is from 2003 and still works fine. My notebook from 2008
obviously also still works (and I intend to use it until at least 2018 if it
keeps working), and in fact even my old laptop from 1998 still technically
works, too, I just stopped using it, and the evergrowing memory requirements
of software have a lot to do with that (as does the lack of care given to
drivers like s3virge).

        Kevin Kofler