[Test-Announce] Fedora 18 Beta Test Compose 8 (TC8) Available Now!

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Mon Nov 12 00:42:33 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> Reverting mini-debuginfo would require a mass-rebuild which is hardly
>> going to happen at this point of F18 no matter what you think of the
>> feature.
>
> I've seen mass rebuilds rushed through in less time than what we have from
> now until the current F18 release target date. And it's the most effective
> way to hit the target size of the DVD.
>
> I really don't understand the cavalier approach to bloat around here. A
> feature which increases the size of the whole distro should NOT be approved,
> period. We need to get the live images back to CD size and treat every
> feature which endangers that as a showstopper. Hardware resources are not
> infinite, we cannot afford wasting them in this way.
>
> FWIW, I also think we need to reopen the discussion of building Fedora with
> -Os rather than -O2.
>
> Size matters,
>         Kevin Kofler

+1, although I really think the relevant size targets are 700 MB for
CD and 4 GB for DVD / USB stick. You need the 700 MB for machines that
can't boot a USB stick or DVD. Personally, I think OpenOffice /
LibreOffice shouldn't be on live media. You can make a really nice
GNOME or KDE Live CD if you free up the humongous amount of space that
so-called productivity suite occupies. ;-)

By the way, I am moving my computational journalism tool set into beta
this week, and I am going to recommend that users install Linux from a
"net install CD" where available. In case you're wondering, it works
on Linux Mint 13, Mageia 2, Fedora 17 and 18, openSUSE 12.2, Ubuntu
12.04 LTS and maybe Ubuntu 12.10. I love net installers - they take up
about 200 MB, they download quickly and you don't have to run a
stinking update of hundreds of packages after the install. The down
side is that it takes longer to get the packages installed, but
eliminating the second install makes that moot IMHO.

> --

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://znmeb.github.com/Computational-Journalism-Publishers-Workbench/

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?