remove polkit from core?

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 08:41:22 UTC 2012

On 11/10/2012 05:26 PM, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On 2012-11-09 18:27, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> The js package is 6.5MB.
>
> BTW I suppose that could be significantly reduced by linking /usr/bin/js
> with the dynamic libmozjs instead of the static one generated during the
> build. It seems to take something more than just the attached patch though.

Most interpreters deliberately do this because non-PIC code is
significantly faster than PIC code, especially on architectures without
IP-relative addressing.  These days, it may be possible to recover some
of the lost performance by tweaking ELF symbol visibility or
amalgamation builds (that is, stuffing everything in a single C file;
-flto could perhaps provide an equivalent).