livemedia-creator and the fedora build system [was Re: appliance-creator: how can I ...]

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 11:13:15 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 06:35:50PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 04:02:27PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > So .. they're different things.  I'm still unclear what sort of
> > appliances you're trying to build and what for, and that will affect
> > what tool you decide to use.
>
> This is the official image produced by Fedora for use in EC2 and for
> download to run in your own private cloud.
>
> I can see the appeal of using livemedia-creator, presuming we can get it to
> work with the build system, but what extra would Oz get us for this case?

Since it appears that you want a Fedora build only, not much.

BUT for some reason live CD builds have been added as this kind of
sideways after-thought to Koji.  I guess that's because livecd-creator
had to run as root and had to do all sorts of strange stuff with
device nodes.  None of that is necessary once you've got
virtualization, and indeed libguestfs proves we can build and run a
complete VM during an ordinary Koji build, with no special permissions
required.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top