Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 16:16:26 UTC 2012

On 11/11/2012 10:01 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:

> Jesse,
>   To be fair - gnome/kde importing something into rawhide/branched
> that's not finished doesn't shut down everyone else's ability to test
> the distro....
>

> I think it is disingenuous to talk about another distro using anaconda -
> b/c the only other one that does, directly, is rhel - and they're
> downstream of fedora, too. That doesn't mean things can be dictated -
> but it does mean that breaking/delaying fedora is not something that
> should be
> done lightly.
>
> I think holding anaconda to higher standards is not a ridiculous
> concept. For years the requirement for yum and rpm (even in rawhide) has
> been 'never commit something so broken it cannot be used to revert itself'.
>
> but I'm positive that this conversation is long past the point of
> productivity so...

I can't disagree with this message.  I'll also point out that we didn't
have a lot of choices for F18.  We could either leave the existing
anaconda package there (which was completely broken) or import the
partially functional newUI code base.  We went with the option that
would provide the most functionality, which was the newUI code base.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!