[Test-Announce] Fedora 18 Beta Test Compose 8 (TC8) Available Now!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 16:42:21 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-11 23:43, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On 11/12/2012 08:56 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> On 2012-11-11 22:02, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>>>
>>> Based on a quick grep, it doesn't seem to consider obsoletion at
>>> all,
>>> which explains what I see on the DVD and perhaps deserves looking
>>> at.
>>
>> I think the basic idea is that pungi isn't supposed to painfully
>> re-implement yum.
>
> Meh. Of course not. But unlike yum, pungi deals with
> space-constrained images and if it ends up pulling useless cruft in
> those images then it's not doing the best job it can for the very
> specific task it has.

Well, it's one of those things where you have two imperatives and you
can't possibly satisfy both: be space efficient but also ensure that any
installation done from the images will be complete and sensible. I think
pungi makes the choice to prioritize the latter. Any kind of 'space
efficiency' code is going to come with a non-zero danger of resulting in
dependency problems or odd dependency resolutions, I guess.

>> If packages are obsoleted, they're supposed to be
>> retired. If something's obsoleted but not retired, that's a
>> packaging
>> error.
>
> No disagreement there. But quite obviously nothing is currently
> finding those packaging errors, much of the "suspect items" list I
> posted has been there for years already. Just haven't gotten around
> mention it anywhere.
>
> I'll shut up now and go see if I can actually do something about it.

I recommend it - it's not hard to probe out why these things happen
(usually), and it can be quite fun. BTW, QA does have a test which looks
for non-explicit conflicts or incomplete dependencies on the images and
we hit those every so often, so we're pretty used to poking through
things like this. It often tracks out to something which was a packaging
problem in the first place and needed to be fixed. If you wind up
getting stuck, poke dgilmore in #fedora-releng, as he should have the
logs of the compose to look through which can help identifying some of
the issues.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey