[@core] working definition for the minimal package set

Petr Lautrbach plautrba at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 17:43:10 UTC 2012

On 11/12/2012 06:10 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

>>> Sounds reasonable to me.
>>
>> Not sure that's a good idea. "ssh" itself is also part of the clients
>> package and should probably moved as well then. "sftp" is probably popular
>> too. I think its better to bite the bullet and just include the clients
>> package as a whole.
>>

> i think you misunderstand.
>
> if I am attempting to connect to a server running sshd:
>
> I can run
>
> ssh servername
>
> and that works
>
> I can run
> sftp servername
> and THAT works
>
> I cannot run
> scp servername
>
> I have to have a local scp client installed on the server for scp to work as a service.

scp is a ssh client. It connects to other host using a ssh connection and runs 'scp -t' or 'scp -f'
commands on the remote side. From my point of view, it's same as any other program you can use via
ssh and I believe that openssh-clients is the right place for it.

sftp subsystem is configured by default so you can use it if you need transfer files to minimal system.

Petr
--
Petr Lautrbach, Red Hat, Inc.
http://cz.redhat.com