raising warning flag on firewalld-default feature

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Nov 12 18:52:53 UTC 2012

Seth Vidal wrote:
> Yum will likely be replaced with dnf afaik. I don't think zif is under
> consideration at all.

That's exactly what I'm complaining about. Dnf is no improvement over yum at
all, zif would bring real advantages through the simple fact that it's
native code, not Python. Native C code is faster, requires less memory and
is less likely to break when the system is broken (and thus more likely to
be usable to repair it). Zif also interoperates much better with PackageKit
(on which our package management UIs, gnome-packagekit and Apper, are
based), being implemented in the same language by the same primary developer
and designed with PackageKit in mind (whereas yum happily breaks APIs used
by PackageKit, see e.g. the repo.str() case; apparently, you don't even test
your changes with PackageKit!).

        Kevin Kofler