[@core] working definition for the minimal package set

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Mon Nov 12 20:33:33 UTC 2012

Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> writes:

> fantastic. show me a deployment somewhere of a 'thin client' that
> doesn't use their own custom kickstart/pxe for instantiating the
> clients and that will be relevant to this discussion.

Is kickstart installs generally out of scope for minimal package set?
The problem used to be that even with kickstart, you ended up with a
too-large package set which you then had to rpm -e at the end. Awkward.

This has gotten much better, of course.

Personally I was hoping that the minimal project would end up making it
possible, using kickstart, to install enough to get yum running. Ideally
the size of that minimal install would be rather small. The users can
always add more... If people want an actual functional system out of the
box, it seems that they would be better off with one of the other
installation choices.

But anyway, if it is possible to prevent the installation of openssh-*
in the kickstart file, that is ok with me. rpm -e afterwards, not so
much.

/Benny