livemedia-creator and the fedora build system [was Re: appliance-creator: how can I ...]

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 22:04:42 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 09:49:58PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Maybe one day we'll have good nested virt though ...
>
> Nested virt would really be the right solution, if we can make it work with
> today's hardware. It feels quite wrong that virtualization can do everything
> except virtualizing, it kinda breaks the abstraction.

We talked about this at the KVM Forum.  Apparently Intel nested virt
is *hard* .. the code is larger than the rest of KVM combined.

AMD nested virt was much easier, because AMD choose a completely
different and much less hairy way to implement virt in the first
place.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top