raising warning flag on firewalld-default feature

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 16:35:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 02:41:44PM +0000, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 11/12/2012 07:53 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> >On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 09:53:13PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >>I really don't understand why a core system component such as firewalld is
> >>implemented in Python!
> >
> >Here, I mostly don't see the reason for it to be running all the time.
> >Couldn't it be dbus activated, and then go away when it's not needed? Then,
> >it would matter less what it was written in.
>
> It could be argued that python is more suited to long lived programs:
>
> $ time /bin/true
> real	0m0.002s

Hmmm:

$ echo '' > true.ml
$ ocamlopt.opt true.ml -o true
$ time ./true

real   0m0.002s
user   0m0.000s
sys    0m0.001s

$ time /bin/true

real   0m0.001s
user   0m0.000s
sys    0m0.001s

This seems about right to me: Both ocamlopt & gcc generate native
x86-64 programs, but there's a small amount of overhead in the OCaml
binary (initializing the minor heap of the GC).

Rich.