remove polkit from core?

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 19:32:28 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 02:07:53 PM Matthias Clasen wrote:
> [...]

Turning system configuration into a scriptable language is like going back in
time to the 70's and early 80's where you modified the source to have a
different behavior. Remember Basic programs where if you wanted it to do
something new, you change your copy so its better that the one people were
sharing?

It was decided a long time ago that its better to just have a parser that
looks for the things that people would commonly like to change. This way, you
have some assurance that the main binary has some integrity and you didn't
make some kind of typo that opens access for the world.

As a matter of fact, the better way to do this is via some kind of daemon that
keeps all this information in one giant database. This way its possible to
audit any change to the database and know who did it, what they changed, and
what the old and new values are. This level of service was asked for by
government agencies. We pointed to the sshd config file and said its impossible.
I canplace a watch on the file and I can tell you who changed it and I can tell
you when they changed it, but I cannot tell you what in it changed.

This is the direction I'd rather see the OS go instead of going back to what
amounts to changing the source code. We need to improve the verifiablity rather
than the flexibility.

> A concrete action that we are going to take is to split the polkit daemon
> into its own subpackage. Then minimal / certifiable installs can contain
> clients that are using the polkit libraries, without pulling in the daemon.
> Polkit clients are already expected to handle this situation and fall back
> to allow only uid 0. All of this is documented in
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/software/polkit/docs/latest/polkit-apps.html

We have security configurations for desktop systems. This proposal fixes the
minimal install issue but does not address the compliance issue.

-Steve

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Configuration_file