[@core] working definition for the minimal package set

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 21:41:12 UTC 2012

Matthew Miller (mattdm at fedoraproject.org) said:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 08:07:39PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > Yeah, that's a thing that probably could be done.  Bug again I'd
> > like some input from people who have made the switch to these
> > packages being mandatory.
>
> Well, I think it's just that the policy for a long time that since core
> isn't visible, default or optional are pointless. Specifically:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_and_edit_comps.xml_for_package_groups#Core
>
> says (right now, but maybe not for long):
>
>   Core is not visible, so adding 'default' or 'optional' packages to it isn't
>   needed. Boot loaders are listed as 'default' in the group so that they're
>   pulled in by compose tools.
>
> That last part isn't even right. There's not too many packages in core, so I
> don't think it'll be that difficult of an excercise to find the reasoning
> for each.

So, what it is bascially designed for now is:

- Boot to a normal prompt
      basesystem
      bash
      coreutils
      filesystem
      glibc
      initscripts
      plymouth (was for boot logs & encrypted partitions; could be dropped)
      rootfiles
      setup
      systemd
      util-linux
      (plus implicit kernel)
- Support basic networking
      biosdevname (consistent naming policy)
      initscripts
      dhclient
      hostname
      iproute
      iputils
      NetworkManager
- Connect to remote systems
      curl
      openssh-clients
- Allow remote systems to connect to us
      openssh-server
- Store & forward logs
      audit
      rsyslog
- Install other software
      rpm
      yum
- SELinux
      policycoreutils
      selinux-policy-targeted
- Add/remove/configure local users, and allow them to admin if necessary
      passwd
      shadow-utils
      sudo
- Minimal tools for admins
      less
      man-db
      procps-ng
      vim-minimal
- Scheduled tasks
      cronie
- Get mail off the box (and define a default for doing so)
      sendmail
- Support a local console
      kbd
      ncurses
- Configure additional partitions for the simple case
      e2fsprogs
      parted
- Probably legacy and can be dropped from explicit listing
      iprutils
      ppc64-utils

Bill