[@core] working definition for the minimal package set

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 02:57:51 UTC 2012

On 13 November 2012 18:38, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 08:00:23PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > [list of packages]
>> ntpdate
>> chrony
>
> On EC2 (as in many virt environments) the hardware clock source is actually
> synced and running an ntpd service on the client is redundant.

<bikeshed=blue>
They say it is .... but it is not always.  I have had multiple cases
in KVM and some in Xen where supposedly the clock is kept up but what
you end up is actually watching time go backwards if you hit heavy
load in IO or CPU or Mem.  Of course if you run into hardware like
that.. you can install it after your DB has gone poopsies.
</bikeshed>

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."