[@core] working definition for the minimal package set

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Wed Nov 14 05:29:10 UTC 2012

I can tell you what openSUSE / SUSE Studio does. The smallest
appliance you can build is JEOS (Just Enough Operating System). That
has kernel, grub, openssh, bash, small vim and zypper, which is the
openSUSE equivalent of yum. It does not have man pages; they're
stripped out.

Next up is something called 'server'. The main thing you get beyond
JEOS is a bigger system administration tool called YaST, which has a
curses interface for things like the firewall. I think the man pages
show up in 'server'.

Neither JEOS nor server have 'ntp' or 'sudo' - you have to add those.
You also have to add command-line conveniences like command-not-found,
findutils-locate and bash-completion.

Next up is "Minimal X". This is a stripped IceWM desktop that's
actually quite nice if you want X Windows.

Personally I don't think anything smaller than JEOS is useful and I
don't think it's necessary. It's only about 174 MB as an ISO

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Ben Cotton <bcotton at fedoraproject.org> said:
>> ntpdate
>> chrony
>
> Daemons should only be added to @core if they are critical for basic
> system function; NTP is recommended for most setups, but certainly not
> critical.
>
> It would be nice to have ntpdate and/or rdate though, so that the system
> clock can be initialized from the network.  Trying to set it accurately
> by hand can be annoying, and an accurate clock is required for some
> network authentication methods like Kerberos.
>
> --
> Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
> --

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://znmeb.github.com/Computational-Journalism-Publishers-Workbench/

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?