Using snapper for OfflineSystemUpdates

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 15:53:18 UTC 2012

In https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OfflineSystemUpdates we've
implemented doing the package updates at first-boot time. This makes a
lot of the hard-to-fix problems a lot easier. The question then
becomes, how do we make the OS Update process even smarter? A simple
check would be to see if X started after doing an upgrade, and if it
failed, to rollback to the disk snapshot or / (and /boot?) that we
previously knew worked.

Do do this we can currently use anything-on-lvm, or btrfs and quite a
bit of shell-foo. I'm quite keen on no adding lots of tricky code to
PackageKit to deal with all this complexity, so what about using
snapper? See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Snapper for more details.

It's an OpenSuse project, and other than a small patch I've sent
upstream to get things compiling on Fedora it looks pretty small,
self-contained and sane.

Does anybody have any better ideas than snapper? I really don't want
to roll my own on this one unless there's a good reason.

Richard.