remove polkit from core?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Nov 14 19:33:25 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 09:44:55AM -0500, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> > Great - let's take something that people are using, remove that
> > functionality, and not announce it!
> >
> > This is not cool; it represents one of my biggest frustrations with a
> > bunch of the "new and improved" ways of doing things.  You track down
> > how to do something, it works for a few releases, and then it doesn't
> > anymore with no notice.
>
> I don't mind this much in isolation—  and to some extent its
> unavoidable if there is to be progress.
>
> I also have the experience and impression that Fedora often dismisses
> use cases in the 'long tail' as things that "power users" can get by
> twiddling some opaque config file or registry entry or hacking some
> bit of code— this happens more often the closer you get to the
> desktop, but believe its a culture which permeates the project more
> generally than that.  In isolation this too would be occasionally
> frustrating but finite in baddness.
>
> The combination of the two— that anything non-stock is subject to
> constant and often undocumented breakage _and_ that many non
> nearly-universal use cases are too non-mainstream to consider
> supportable stock features really diminishes the value I receive from
> using a distribution at all.

I was trying yesterday to formulate a question for the people running
for FESCo along these lines; also what they thought about:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4772133

However I wasn't able to formulate a snappy and non-carping question
in time for the deadline.

Still, I do believe it's something that FESCo (those elected and those
standing for election) ought to address.

Rich.