[@core] working definition for the minimal package set

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Nov 15 00:05:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, 14.11.12 08:18, Chris Adams (cmadams at hiwaay.net) wrote:

> Once upon a time, Thomas Bendler <ml at bendler-net.de> said:
> > Does an MTA really make sense in the core definition? The configuration of
> > MTA is nowadays much more complex compared to the "old" days. Normaly you
> > need a FQDN, you need a SMTP relay and lot other stuff more. So you will
> > only get the mails off the system after a lot of configuration work which
> > can, from my point of view, also include the installation of an MTA.
>
> Well, as soon as you have cron, you'll have things wanting to send
> email, and even sendmail mail to "root" on the local system requires
> some type of MTA in most cases.

I am pretty sure the default should be to push everything to the
logs.

But note that in the container case you are likely to encounter a setup
where you install the host host, and then add one container for mail,
another one for web, a third one for database, and so on. If you do that
it would be really bogus to include sendmail in the minimal set...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.