[@core] working definition for the minimal package set

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Nov 15 00:10:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, 14.11.12 10:34, John.Florian at dart.biz (John.Florian at dart.biz) wrote:

> > From: Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
> >
> > Well, as soon as you have cron, you'll have things wanting to send
> > email, and even sendmail mail to "root" on the local system requires
> > some type of MTA in most cases.
>
> >From my experience, an MTA is still not required.  Any stdout/err from the
> cron jobs just go to the syslog, but this may be systemd's journal magic
> that I've been seeing.

cronie is actually able to log the cron output to syslog since a long
time. I haven't been running MTAs on any of my machines for a many years
now.

If you deinstall the MTA then cronie will log a error message that
sendmail wasn't around, and then go on and log job output to
syslog. This error message is really pointless and should go away.

Honestly, we really should drop sendmail from the default install of
*all* systems, not just the minimal installations. It is simply not
useful without configuration, and nothing else we install requires it,
not even cronie.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.