[@core] working definition for the minimal package set

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Thu Nov 15 00:33:15 UTC 2012

Time synchronization inside virtual machines is

a. Hypervisor-dependent. See the docs for VirtualBox, VMware, Xen and
kvm and read the fine print. I don't even know if there *is*
documentation for EC2.
b. Poorly documented and difficult to test. If you don't *need*
anything better than NTP / one second synchronization, don't waste
your time.
c. A mine field if you *do* need something better.

Stay safe out there. ;-)

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 7:22 AM,  <John.Florian at dart.biz> wrote:
>> From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
>> > On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 08:00:23PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
>> > On EC2 (as in many virt environments) the hardware clock source is
>> > actually
>> > synced and running an ntpd service on the client is redundant.
>> >

>> <bikeshed=blue>
>> They say it is .... but it is not always.  I have had multiple cases
>> in KVM and some in Xen where supposedly the clock is kept up but what
>> you end up is actually watching time go backwards if you hit heavy
>> load in IO or CPU or Mem.  Of course if you run into hardware like
>> that.. you can install it after your DB has gone poopsies.
>> </bikeshed>
>
> I've seen that happen as well.  I found this by hitting the pause button on
> the guest IIRC.  I just always use NTP to avoid the worry, but I agree NTP
> (whether ntpd or chronyd) belongs in @standard not @core.
>
> --
> John Florian
>
> --

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://znmeb.github.com/Computational-Journalism-Publishers-Workbench/

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?