[@core] working definition for the minimal package set

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 02:02:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 16:27 -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/13/2012 06:55 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >> It might be worth re-evaluating whether that's realistic any more,
> >> though, and whether we're _really_ committed to finally replacing
> >> network with NM in some kind of reasonable timeframe.
> >
> > To this point, NetworkManager has failed to gain basic bridge support.
> > In the meantime, Open vSwitch, which has a ton more configuration
> > options has been recently added to the distro.
> >
> > I'd argue that NM actually continues to fall farther behind.
>
> Yeah, I love NetworkManager until it bites me - I've lost count of how
> many times I've been in a coffee shop and had to use 'sudo nmcli con
> del id' to get back online. ;-)

SCOPE CREEP ALARM! AWOOGA! AWOOGA!

Unless you actually think the network scripts are a better way of
managing casual wireless connections, I think this is a bit out of
scope, as we can already chalk up 'casual wireless connections' in the
'win' column for NetworkManager - it's already better than
network.service at that. it may not be *perfect*, but it's *better*.

The context here is not 'let's all get our NM pet peeves out of our
systems', but 'what does network.service still do better than NM, and
how long is it going to take to fix that?'
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey