Fedora 18 Beta Go/No-Go Meeting, Thursday, November 22 @ 20:00 UTC (3pm Eastern, 12pm Pacific)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 17:32:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 09:25 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 11:24:12AM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> >
> > The rest of this week is basically a write-off.
> >
> > Trying to do anything this week that needs input from US stakeholders seems
> > optimistic at best.
> >
> Then this whole week is likely to be very hard to get the release finished.
>
> Devil's Advocate:
>
> When deciding to slip again, we could have decided to slip until evaluating
> for release could be done after this week.
>
> Or we could have figured out which specific things were necessary to
> complete before asserting we can "Go" and whether the specific stakeholders
> who could validate those specific things were available this week to make
> those assertions.  At worst, this select group meets and decides to slip us
> into next week just like the previous case.  As best, the select group
> determines that we can "Go" and gets to building the release now... now
> wait.. isn't this what happened?

Right. So this whole thread tracks back to pjones':

"I really think having this meeting during the second largest US holiday
is a very poor idea, especially since almost everybody working on
anything we're likely to decide no-go for is in the US, as are many of
the people whose views will be needed."

Which was kind of passed unexamined, but I really don't think holds up.
Representation at go/no-go meeting, officially, is:

QA (we have many non-USians, at least one of us will be at the meeting)
releng (dgilmore is non-US)
devel (I'm sure at least one person who can plausibly claim to be part
of 'devel' will be available)

As a de facto thing we usually have at least one of FPL or program
manager present...and jreznik is non-US.

So it rather looks like we're good, on the attendance front. I don't
believe that pjones' assertion that 'many of the people whose views will
be needed' are in the US holds up.

It's true that many of the people working on key components - i.e.
anaconda - are in the US, but that's not really a problem for holding a
go/no-go meeting. By the time we're doing go/no-go it's really too late
to be fixing stuff, all we're doing is evaluating the state of the
current RC (if there is one) and deciding whether it's shippable. If
it's not, we don't need developers to make a crazy rush effort, because
we'll be slipping anyway. So there really isn't a problem from that
perspective.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey