Problem with F17 yum requesting old repodata?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Nov 23 22:04:43 UTC 2012

Posting here, mainly because I'm not really sure where else to ask...

I run a Fedora mirror (mirror.hiwaay.net).  I noticed that I have been
seeing a significantly higher HTTP request rate than normal.  My mirror
usually sees a couple of hundred requests per minute, but it has been
running a steady 1500 requests per minute for most of today.  It hit
4000 requests per minute around mid-day Wednesday (US Central time).

I poked through the logs, and I see lots of requests for the file:

/pub/fedora/linux/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/34881e74623de1754bf0e12f01884bea615fdcee05eded189f22d41bf9d4260b-other.sqlite.bz2

That file no longer exists; it was on my mirror from 21:12 Monday to
22:17 Tuesday.

I see the same IP requesting that file (and getting a 404 error) a dozen
times in less than a minute.  I'm guessing there's either a yum bug or a
broken repo push that is:

- causing yum to try to fetch an out-of-date repodata file
- causing it to try over and over again rapidly

This is accounting for about a third of all requests to my mirror right
now.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>