Problem with F17 yum requesting old repodata?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sat Nov 24 05:37:46 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> said:
> Strange. Could be the previous days updates push, but then it should be
> getting new repodata/seeing the change from the metalink.

It is always the *-other.sqlite.bz2 file.  I do see some clients
requesting files from different pushes (different filename hash), but I
think when I'm seeing the same IP do that it is different clients behind
a NAT system.

> It should also be normally trying multiple mirrors, not a bunch of
> times to the same one. :(

Of course, I'm only looking at my logs, so it could be making such
requests of multiple mirrors (before cycling around and trying mine
again).

> Is it all the same IP? Perhaps a horribly misconfigured machine...

Nope, it is all over the map.  I do see the same IPs come up over and
over again though, but again, some appear to be big NAT boxes (so could
be a few clients trying repeatedly, or a bunch of clients trying
sequentially, although it would be odd for them to be evenly spread
out).

Actually, when I account for the different hashes and arches, the
failing requests for updates/17/*/repodata/*-other.sqlite.bz2 files are
accounting for almost 2/3 of all HTTP requests to my mirror.  I am not
seeing any FTP requests; does yum try FTP these days?

It doesn't appear to be causing any problem (no load impact, just bigger
logs; the daily error_log isn't usually 250MB+) on my mirror, but I
expect it is causing issues for clients.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>