Problem with F17 yum requesting old repodata?

Zdenek Pavlas zpavlas at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 09:23:22 UTC 2012

> This is what I get for the last few days:
> # yum --skip-broken update

This is a fairly common scenario.  Let me explain..
Repository cachecookie was older than 6 hours,
Yum updates the metalink.xml file:

> updates/17/x86_64/metalink  |  16 kB     00:00

The repomd.xml timestamp stored in metalink.xml has changed.
Yum retrieves new repomd.xml from some mirror:

> updates                     | 4.7 kB     00:00

Then, $hash-primary.sqlite.bz2 referenced by the new repomd.xml
needs to be retrieved.  But 1st mirror Yum tried didn't have it:

> http://ftp.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/fedora/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/00c7410a78aa8dd0f4934ed4935377b99e0339101cee369c1b1691f3025950ac-primary.sqlite.bz2:
> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found

Yum tries the same relative URL on other mirror.
This time the DL was successful:

> Trying other mirror.
> updates/primary_db          | 6.9 MB     00:06

Metadata are pushed to mirrors as independent files.  Probably
the tiny repomd.xml is way ahead of primary.sqlite.bz2,
so there's a race possible.

But since we handle it (by trying other mirror, or reverting
to previous metadata when all mirrors fail), I don't consider
this a bug.