LibRaw: possible license issues

Debarshi Ray rishi.is at lostca.se
Mon Nov 26 18:29:27 UTC 2012

>>> Why does it matter?  Their code hasn't changed, and has not become GPLv3.
>>> The package is GPLv3+.
>>
>> It matters because Shotwell links to GStreamer.
>>
>> GStreamer applications either opt for LGPLv2+ or GPLv2+ with exceptions
>> because they might end up using proprietary or otherwise unfavourably
>> licensed GStreamer plugins .
>
> Which is fine, because GPLv3+ is compatible with LGPLv2+ or GPLv2+.

You missed the "proprietary or otherwise unfavourably licensed"
part. :-) There are proprietary GStreamer plugins for patent
encumbered formats. eg., the MP3 codecs from Fluendo.

Granted that Fedora does not ship such GStreamer plugins, but some of
our downstreams do. (I don't think I am allowed to get into specifics here.)

Plus, this practice of either using LGPLv2+ or GPLv2+ with exceptions
for applications is so widespread in GStreamer land (Totem, PiTiVi,
Rhythmbox, Transmageddon, etc.) that I was not comfortable with having
a situation where the application silently ends up under a different
license due to another library.

Happy hacking,
Debarshi

--
There are two hard problems in computer science: cache invalidation, naming
things and off-by-one errors.