Orphaning libunwind

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Tue Nov 27 07:01:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 02:48:00 +0100, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> But these are just implementation.  Ideally we want every package that gets
> released to the users to have a maintainer that is watching bug reports and
> attempting to fix anything serious.

There are serious bugs so that some cases are not properly unwound but nobody
has reported it in Fedora BZ yet.  And one of the reasons of the elfutils
extension was exactly to fix it.

I understand the formal rules in this case.  But do you think I will be fixing
known bugs in libunwind which were the reason I wrote the elfutils extension?

Maybe we should make a difference between functionality of the package
(unwinding) and its packaging; there may happen some issues with packaging
which are easy to fix in general and which I can do.  I have taken the
ownership back but (a) only for the packaging kind of bugs and
(b) only for f16+f17+f18, not for f19.

> So if you know you aren't going to fix bugs for this package in f19, the
> best answer is to block this package from f19 and get those packages that
> currently depend on it to stop doing so (by disabling features or porting
> to something else.)

gperftools remains unsolved in this regard.  I do not know more about it now.

Thanks,
Jan