LibRaw: possible license issues

Debarshi Ray rishi.is at lostca.se
Tue Nov 27 10:08:17 UTC 2012

> OK, so there are some proprietary or otherwise encumbered plugins
> that might not be GPLv3-compatible but might be compatible with GPLv2.

You again missed the "GPLv2 with exceptions" part.

>> Plus, this practice of either using LGPLv2+ or GPLv2+ with exceptions for
>> applications is so widespread in GStreamer land (Totem, PiTiVi, Rhythmbox,
>> Transmageddon, etc.) that I was not comfortable with having a situation
>> where the application silently ends up under a different license due to
>> another library.
>
> I don't think that's a problem because the whole purpose of the
> "or any later version of the GPL, at your choice" is to allow
> the GPL to be updated.

You don't think that it is a problem that our downstreams might inadvertently
end up violating the GPL by shipping GPLv3 code that links to non-free
software? I am not saying they are, but the chances are too high for me to
take this lightly.

Cheers,
Debarshi

--
There are two hard problems in computer science: cache invalidation, naming
things and off-by-one errors.