Problem with F17 yum requesting old repodata?

Zdenek Pavlas zpavlas at redhat.com
Tue Nov 27 15:22:10 UTC 2012

> /pub/fedora/linux/updates/17/x86_64/repodata/34881e74623de1754bf0e12f01884bea615fdcee05eded189f22d41bf9d4260b-other.sqlite.bz2
>
> That file no longer exists; it was on my mirror from 21:12 Monday to
> 22:17 Tuesday.
>
> I'm guessing there's either a yum bug or a
> broken repo push that is:
>
> - causing yum to try to fetch an out-of-date repodata file

That's puzzling.  Repodata are fetched in two steps:
1) repomd.xml & primary.sqlite: when repo is opened
2) filelists & other: loaded on demand

There's usually just a very small delay between 1) and 2),
and 1) may use metadata at most 6 hours old.

When something requests otherdata that have expired 3 days
ago, this means that either:

- metadata_expire option was changed in yum.conf
- or, it's some long running application.

> - causing it to try over and over again rapidly

AFAIK, Yum (cli) does not need other.sqlite.  Maybe something
runs "repoquery --changelog <somepackage>" in a retry loop..

Or, maybe it's PackageKit, trying to fetch changelogs
of updated packages, without updating primary metadata first?
That would fit the "long running app" guess.