RFC: Feature process improvements

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 23:32:35 UTC 2012

On 11/28/2012 08:08 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> Hello,
> this proposal was recently linked in various places, so let's formally
> introduce it:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Mmaslano/Feature_process
>
> This an incremental change, not a major overhaul designed to solve all problems.
>
> The benefits expected from this proposal:
> * Making proposed features more visible to Fedora contributors, and
> making it easier for Fedora contributors to discuss the feature before
> FESCo votes on it.
> * Simplifying the process for self-contained features (e.g. individual
> package version upgrades)
> * Getting FESCo more involved in scheduling and testing of features
> with large impact on the rest of the distribution or schedule.
> * Making sure some frequently forgotten-about items, like rel-eng
> impact, are included in the feature proposal.
>
> For details, please see the proposal at the above-mentioned link.
>      Marcela Mašláňová, Tomáš Mráz, Jaroslav Řezník, Miloslav Trmač

Lacks clarification on what's considered an feature.

Arguably it should be mandatory for feature owners to provide or work
with the documentation and or marketing communities documenting and
publishing what benefits changes their feature brings to
users/community/the distribution in whole etc.

it's just absurd having us ( QA ) adjusting release criteria while we
are trying to follow it so feature that might affect the current release
criteria and or critical components will need to be approved by QA
before alpha so we can but not be limited to making the necessary
changes to the release criteria in due time and make sure proper testing
takes place and each approved feature arguably should have associated
test day with it ( if relevant ).

Will it still be optional to participate in the feature process?

JBG