rssh (need a sponsor and package from database)

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Thu Nov 29 06:14:07 UTC 2012

Alexander Aristotle Davis wrote:
> I would like to be the maintainer for the rssh for Fedora. I am
> sending this e-mail to seek guidance and also a sponsor. Getting rssh
> on Fedora i will need to fix the security.

Hi Alex!

I think you need a plan for how you will convince potential sponsors
that you understand the packaging guidelines and can do a good job of
maintaining a Fedora package. The usual ways of doing that are to make
new packages of good quality and submit them for review, and to do
informal reviews of others' packages. (You're not allowed to do formal
reviews before you're sponsored, but you can always comment on review
requests.) Those are just the usual ways though. Any way that works is
good.

One thing that I would want to see if I were a sponsor would be an RSSH
package where all known security bugs are fixed, not as a new package but
as a fixed version of the old package.

If the current upstream maintainer doesn't want to continue maintaining
RSSH, then a good way of showing that you're serious about keeping it
alive would be to take over upstream maintenance. You might want to
coordinate that with package maintainers in other distributions.

Björn Persson