RFC: Feature process improvements

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Fri Nov 30 15:29:24 UTC 2012

Hello,
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 12:32 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Lacks clarification on what's considered an feature.
The proposal continues to use the current wide definition - it only
treats some differently.

> Arguably it should be mandatory for feature owners to provide or work with
> the documentation and or marketing communities documenting and publishing
> what benefits changes their feature brings to users/community/the
> distribution in whole etc.
I think the existing feature template is supposed to already cover
that.  Is there something missing?

> Will it still be optional to participate in the feature process?
That's one of the aspects of the feature process not addressed by this
proposal. (To make the feature process mandatory, we would also have a
mechanism to enforce this requirement - which is a pretty large can of
worms.)

Ideally, everybody affected by a change should already be notified per
the current policy
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_maintainer_responsibilities#Notify_others_of_changes_that_may_affect_their_packages
).  How much that happens in practice is another matter,
unfortunately.
    Mirek