forked library

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 20:16:57 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 09:07:34PM +0200, Nikos Roussos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I maintain IDJC [1], which depends on libshout. The latest version
> though depends on libshout-idjc a fork of the original library, since
> the idjc upstream developer wanted some extra functionality on libshout
> and didn't want to wait for libshout upstream to adopt his changes.
>
> I've read the relevant documentation [2] but I'm not sure what's the
> best way to proceed. The good thing that he doesn't bundle his version
> of libshout, but instead he has made it a separate release [3], which
> could also be packaged for Fedora. But a fork is a fork.
>
> Should I just make a request for exception and package the forked
> library or should the package be orphaned?
>
> [1] https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/idjc
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries
> [3] http://sourceforge.net/projects/idjc/files/

How likely is it that the changes would go back into libshout?  Is the
maintainer of IDJC pushing them?  Is the libshout maintainer
interested in them?

Because if it's the case that these changes are likely to go into
libshout, then carrying them as %patches in the Fedora libshout
package might be a better idea.

Rich.